Tuesday 27 November 2007

Black Woman with an African accent...how I got into Oxbridge

I have always wanted to capture my one year postgraduate study experience at Cambridge University, but it is one of those things that it is really hard to capture in one page or even explain. There were many angles to it, but today, I will try and capture my experience as a black woman, with an African accent(BWF).


My story:

They say Cambridge was too difficult to get into
It was only for the western elite, the only way Arabs, Asian and African get in, was if they had a lot of money
I was determined to get in, I read about the university, the people that attended and the entry requirements
I was looking for any advantage I could find and I was determined to get in
I applied, 2months into my final year and surprise, surprise, I was called for an interviewing in three weeks
I fasted for 21days, from the day I got the letter till a day before the interview
I went to king cross station and got on the train to Cambridge
I still remember what I wore, a TM Lewin brown stripped shirt, brown pants and brown shoes. Looking a million dollar!
The whole interview was a blur. I don’t remember much
A month later, I got a letter, in a small envelope.
I was sure I was rejected; I did not open the letter, called my boyfriend on the phone and started crying
I cried and cried, and he said “open the letter”. I open the letter and all I saw was “I am pleased to…” I cried again. I got in!
I applied for all my loans and was ready to become an Oxbridge graduate, with no rich parents or money; I was just a determined black, woman with an African accent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I was lucky not to have an interview. Was this an interview with the college or the department to which you applied?

Aspiring nigerian woman said...

Hi, Thanks for reading my blog. The interview was with the department. You need to get into the department first. You will always get a college place.

Anonymous said...

My experience was a bit different, maybe because I applied from overseas. Getting into the department was surprisingly easy and I was not asked to interview, but getting into a college, or at least one that was among my preferences, was difficult! In the end, I did better than I could have ever hoped for. I was so naive then, but had I not been, my cynicism would have kicked in and I don't think I would have been offered a place.