Thursday 29 November 2007

Black Woman with an African accent...was it all worth it?

I have always wanted to capture my one year postgraduate study experience at Cambridge University, but it is one of those things that it is really hard to capture in one page or even explain. There were many angles to it, but today, I will like to give a positive spin to my experience at Cambridge

Was it worth it?

Yes oh! My people, it is definitely worth it
All in all, I would consider my study at Cambridge, the best life lesson I have ever experienced
I learnt that you need to have money, serious money for your voice to be heard
I learnt that you have to be seriously very good at whatever you do, to be heard
I learnt that I have the determination, focus and courage to conquer where my peers have never been, or my parents have ever been.
I learnt that family history is important
I learnt that education and being taught by the best is important
I learnt that the colour of my skin and sex is my weakness, but I can use it to my advantage
I learnt that I don’t have to be right all the time, being wrong sometimes is also a sign of courage
I learnt that I have a lot of guts and I can succeed in any environment
I learnt that a lot of my peers can find me intimidating
I learnt that I can set the pace for my generation
I learnt that I can open any doors and do anything, as long as I try
I learnt that failure is also an important lesson to learn
I learnt that my report writing is not good enough, I don’t pronounce words properly and I need to work on it
I learnt that I need to learn a second language
I learnt that God is able and can do all things, as long as I trust him and wait on him
I learnt that God has a hand in everything I do, so I should be confident in all my decisions
I learnt that success is not given or bought; I sometimes need to fight for it
I learnt that success is only for the brave, determined and for those who seek it
So is it worth it?... it was the best education I ever received

No comments: