Monday 3 December 2007

Akin is gone...

A friend of my mine died last Monday. I still can’t believe it. He still dropped me an offline message a few weeks ago, he just updated his Facebook pictures and I only just found out that he added a picture we took together in 2004.

Akin was a great guy, a fine young man, with a lot of things going for him. He just graduated from law school and started his career. I am still in shock! I keep going to his facebook page, to look at his pictures; he was so full of life. I remember when I first met his; he just walked up to me and we started chatting, right in the middle of campus. We talked a lot about his family, his sisters, his mum, his nieces and nephews. He told me about his nephew- Shine. He used to fancy me, but nothing ever happened between us. He added up being friends for a long time. I remember the last time I saw him, in 2004, when he came to my house with his best friend – Muyiwa. He had a really good time together, just talking about old times, his future plans etc.

Life is so unfair. How can such a much loved guy like Akin died; just like that. How can his mission on earth be completed, just after he is 30 yrs old. Is his purpose on earth fulfilled?, or the devil just decided to cut his life short? How can God-the creator of all things, who knows best, let this happen? There was no notice, no warning, it just happened. His family and friends just lost a beautiful soul!

Akin, I remember your lovely smile, the way you always smiled at me and how we spent ages, taking about our dreams the world was your oyster, and you were one of those people that grabbed life with both your hands. I remember how you always spoke of your love for your mum, how precious you were to her, how you could not leave her in Ogbomosho, ‘cos your sisters had all left home and you had to be there for her.

I remember when we met at the Lagbaja show in Ibadan, you promised to introduce me to Lagbaja, ‘cos he was your uncle, but there was a huge crowd and we just could not get through. Many years from then, I still think about how close I was to meeting Lagbaja. I remember your red car, how you used to cruise it around Ogbomosho. I remember your incident with the cult boys, how they “obtained” your belt, ‘cos the logo on it resembled the “aka cult”. I remember when Dupe was heart broken by Dapo and you called me to come and get her, and how we all walked back to the hostel together, comforting Dupe.

I still can’t cry, ‘cos I don’t believe you are gone. I was waiting to speak to your best friend – Muyiwa, maybe he will tell me it was all a big mistake. That you are still alive and kicking, with your cheeky smile. I want to hear your voice again, I want to laugh at all the stupid memories and talk about our future plans, your latest girlfriend or even your wedding. I want to ask after Shine, find out what he is up to the U.S, even though I have never met him. Also ask about your niece (Shine’ sister). All I can think about is that:

Akin, you lived your life like a candle in the wind, but the candle burned out long before the legend ever live”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your friends passing. May God be with you, his friends, and family...

Anonymous said...

hey, i knew Akin too. Still can't believe he's gone.....