Wednesday 13 February 2008

Valentine & Australia

happy valentine to you all

I don’t think I am a hopeless romantic person, but I just love people making the effort. I get really disappointed when people don’t, especially those close to me. Tomorrow is valentine, so I am keeping my fingers crossed, with what hubby has in store. I doubt if he has anything planned, apart from frantically trying to find a restaurant today. We don’t have Internet at our new place yet, so I am sure he will be asking his colleagues at work or looking through the Internet. Last year, we had a candle night dinner at home, yes oh; he did the whole thing, steak, veg and potatoes, even made gravy. I was too impressed, with dimmed lights and candles on the table. The only thing he forgot to do was to iron the table cloth. Apart from that, it was a good evening. I am always doing crazy things for his birthday, or rather fun and memorable things. Last year, I took him to a jazz club, with old jams such as “dance to buggy, dance to buggy”. I swear, I have never heard most of the songs before, but he had a swear time. On his birthday this year, I am taking him on holiday, somewhere exotic, I have decided Egypt. I just need to work out how to get him to book his holiday and yes, sort out the visas.

I bought his cards last night, at one of those trendy, quirky-look stores. The words went alot to me. One of the cards said something about us been through alot together, but I am convinced we are blessed and made for each other. I know we have only been married for one year, but men, it feels like 5years, with all the dramas we have had to deal with in the last one year.

Enough of valentine,

Yesterday, Australian prime minister apologised to the native Australians- the aboriginals for “the laws and policies that inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss” he mentioned the “stolen generation” of thousands of children that were forcefully taken from their parents, in a drive to inter breed them with the white population, civilise the aboriginals and wipe out their race and colour. This atrocity started in the 19th century and continued up to the 1960s. There was an aborigine on BBC this morning and she spoke of how four of her mother’s children were taken from her and given to white families. Her poor mother did not end up seeing 2 of the children ever again. What was her sin? She had a darker skin, she was not civilised enough and the children were off with white families!

It very much brings to mind, the 100th year of the abolition of salve trade last year and Tony Blair, still refusing to apologise for the Britain’s involvement in slave trade. All the blacks ever wanted were the “I am sorry, our forefathers did something that was wrong and we recognise it. Who says that Africa does not still suffer from the effect of slave trade? Who says that the black race has not continued to suffer for the atrocities of the white slave masters, many years ago? It is time for the rest of the world, to stand up and apologise for the salve trade. Of course, their refusal to do so is because of the monetary compensation that will need to be paid. I say it is long over due and it must be paid. It is only a matter of time, but the price must be paid.

5 comments:

Hephzibah said...

ANW- wusup now? Abeg update oh!

Sherri said...

no amount of monetary compensation can erase or ease the pain and suffering inflicted. i don't care for apologies either but rather effective policies and systems.

how u been?

TheAfroBeat said...

How did Valentine's day festivities go? I too hate it when pp don't put in the effort. Hope you're doing well.

As for the slavery issue, I have to agree with Sherri that we can't eat apologies. We need effective policies that bring Africans to the table as equal decisionmakers in the issues that affect them.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I could have sworn I put up a comment in February. Where is it? Oh well, hope all is well and that you will update soon.

NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

Damola said...

Just showing some love on your blog. Dont really have much to say...
Cheers

Damola
Unotech Media