Thursday 24 January 2008

I still dey read...

I hope you are all having a good week so far. I have been busy with my French lessons, going off to central London twice a week. I am also proud to say I have completed Nelson Mandela’s autobiography… Long Walk to Freedom.

I am starting on a book that is looking to explain the origins of the Afenifere and the history of the Yoruba land ruling class. The book is by Olawale Oshun – The kiss of death.

I have just started this morning and already had someone on the train ask me about it. It covers the time of Awolowo, through to the death of Bola Ige and how Afenifere has evolved since then. Wish me luck.
It is quite a painful read for me, but it one worth reading. I am currently at this stage of my life, where I am drawn to the politics of Nigeria, the Yoruba ruling class and trying to find some meaning to the present political and social degradation in Nigeria.

p.s: I friend of mine is in Abuja for the 1st ever Nigeria feminist conference. What is feminism? Are feminists just men hating, bra burning “western women”? Is there a place for feminism in the African culture?

2 comments:

guerreiranigeriana said...

that conference sounds damn interesting...would love to hear the feedback from that...always curious about feminism in other places outside the us...

Sherri said...

bra burning and men hating is militant feminism and most often associated with lesbians in the U.S.

the reality is, we were created to be a symbiotic specie

If a feminist is a men loving woman who's proud to be a woman by fully embracing her womanhood and will not be valued or devalued by society or any man, will not accept limitations on the basis of her femaleness, will assert her rights as a human, will fight for the rights of other women and strive to for a society that appreciates and nurtures all children(male and female) then i am a feminist and every woman shud be one too.